From: Arny Krueger on
"Eeyore" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:49355B2F.A226301E(a)hotmail.com
> liquidator wrote:

>>> I repeat. It didn't go bankrupt unlike GM, Ford and
>>> Chysler look to do.
>>
>> What's the definition of bankrupt?
>
> Being declared so in court.

Sort of:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bankrupt

"Bankruptcy is a legally declared inability or impairment of ability of an
individual or organization to pay their creditors. Creditors may file a
bankruptcy petition against a debtor ("involuntary bankruptcy") in an effort
to recoup a portion of what they are owed or initiate a restructuring. In
the majority of cases, however, bankruptcy is initiated by the debtor (a
"voluntary bankruptcy" that is filed by the bankrupt individual or
organization)."

From: George's Pro Sound Company on

> You are better than that. Straighten up!

He ISN"T better than that
he is exctly that
George

From: Tim S Kemp on

> That does somewhat limit your choice of dryer location. What about washing
> machines too ? Or are they < 1.8kW ?

not really wishing to add to the flamewar, but my toaster and kettle are
both over 2.5kw, I'm the impatient kind of person that likes quick boiling
and toasting. Couldn't be doing with that US mains...

--
And remember kids, RAID is safe and the UPS never fails, and Cisco routers
never develop intermittent faults.

From: George's Pro Sound Company on

"Tim S Kemp" <news(a)timkemp.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Eeyore" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> That does somewhat limit your choice of dryer location. What about
>> washing
>> machines too ? Or are they < 1.8kW ?
>
> not really wishing to add to the flamewar, but my toaster and kettle are
> both over 2.5kw, I'm the impatient kind of person that likes quick boiling
> and toasting. Couldn't be doing with that US mains...

Your "normasl" house circut at this time(wasn't 15 years ago) is 20 amps
or 2.4kw
I doubt you would see any diffrence boiling water in a 2.4kw pot Vs a
2.5kwpot
George

From: Arny Krueger on
"Tim S Kemp" <news(a)timkemp.karoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Eeyore" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote
> in message news:49340FDA.E696F69C(a)hotmail.com...
>
>> That does somewhat limit your choice of dryer location.
>> What about washing machines too ? Or are they < 1.8kW ?
>
> not really wishing to add to the flamewar, but my toaster
> and kettle are both over 2.5kw,

I'm impressed, seriously.

> I'm the impatient kind of person that likes quick boiling and toasting.

We often rely on gas for thermal power on that scale. Or, we use hard-wired
appliances, or appliances with plugs other than the standard 15-10A Edison
plug.

> Couldn't be doing with that US mains...

Yes, 2.5 KW is fine on the US mains, but not via standard 15-20A Edison
plugs.

We have many flavors of connector that can easily handle a mere 2.5 KW.
They are frequently used with electric clothes dryers and larger window air
conditioners.

I have a "dryer plug" on my table saw - the one with the 2 HP Baldor
industrial motor wired for 240 volts.

Yeah, a steady state 2 HP should be fine on a 20A circuit, but when the
cutting gets a little heavy...