From: PD on
On May 4, 10:48 pm, af...(a)FreeNet.Carleton.CA (John Park) wrote:
> PD (thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com) writes:

> > =3DA0Momen=3D
> > =3DA0=3D

> >> To quote the Spartans on a quite different occasion: If.
>
> >> I can't help noticing that the actual quoted passage is reasonable and
> >> the inference about forces is purely in NE's words.
>
> > Exactly.
>
> > For what it's worth, momentum's *definition* is not mv, either.
> > Electromagnetic fields have momentum, but this expression certainly
> > does not work for them. The formula works for a certain class of
> > matter-based objects traveling at low speed, and that's it.
>
> I know this, but at what level does it enter a college syllabus? (It's
> a long time since I had any contact with undergraduate--or graduate--physics,
> and I can't remember where it was first spelled out to me.)
>
>         --John Park

It's actually the second semester of the freshman year, usually. The
modern physics survey chapters are at the back of the course, and that
is where apologies are made for having made what appears to be blanket
statements earlier in the course.
From: PD on
On May 4, 7:17 pm, NoEinstein <noeinst...(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On May 4, 11:33 am, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Dear mpc755:  It is 'generally accepted' that no one (until yours
> > > truly) has found the one, simple energy-force mechanism that will
> > > explain everything in the Universe.  So, if anything is... "generally
> > > accepted" that would be a near certain PROOF that such is WRONG!
>
> > It's generally accepted that 5+17=22, NoEinstein.
> > Since you have been claiming that other things that are taught to
> > elementary school kids is wrong, like Newton's 2nd law, perhaps you'd
> > be willing to claim that this is nearly certainly wrong, too. If
> > 5+17=22 is nearly certainly wrong, what then is the correct answer?

You attempted to say something here, John, but fell short. Is it your
contention that the generally accepted statement that 5+17=22 is
correct or nearly certainly wrong?

From: PD on
On May 5, 2:30 am, NoEinstein <noeinst...(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On May 4, 11:33 am, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> PD:  And the point of your 'addition' extrapolation is?  Your science
> notions are shallow enough without implying that I have disavowed
> common math.  If Einstein had known how to do simple math—nowhere in
> evidence in his (mindless) equation physics—perhaps the dark ages of
> Einstein wouldn't have lasted so long.  — NoEinstein —

You made a general statement that if something is generally accepted,
then that is a sign that it is nearly certainly WRONG.

Now you don't seem so sure.

You don't want to disavow common math, but you are certainly willing
to disavow common, grade school mechanics like Newton's 2nd law. And I
want to point out again that this has nothing to do with the "dark
ages of Einstein", since Newton's 2nd law has been around for 323
years! You've decided that all of physics since Galileo and Newton are
the dark ages! Einstein has nothing to do with your complaint.

PD

From: PD on
On May 5, 2:48 am, NoEinstein <noeinst...(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On May 4, 11:44 am, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Dear PD:  A thin "College Outline Series" book (that fits into the
> > > bookcase behind my computer chair) entitled "Physics", by Clarence E
> > > Bennett, states on page 19: "G.  Momentum and Impulse.  (1.)  Momentum
> > > is defined as the product of the mass times velocity (mv)..."  The
> > > letter F is used for momentum, because the equation defines forces.  —
> > > NoEinstein —
>
> > Oh, good grief. John, what is the ISBN on this book? I'd like to
> > secure it to look at it.
> > From what it is you just told me is in it, if I can verify that you
> > can indeed read it correctly, it is a horrible, horrible booklet and
> > should be burned as worthless.
>
> > If this is what you learned physics from in your architectural
> > studies, then I have absolutely no doubt that you and your firm are on
> > thin legal ground.
>
> > PD- Hide quoted text -

> The AUTHOR and the Title are all you need.  — NE —

Then let me make sure we're talking about the same title, because
Clarence E. Bennett has written the following:
Physics Problems and How to Solve Them (1958, 1959, 1960, 1968, 1972,
1985)
College Physics (College Outline Series) (1962, 1972)
Physics Without Mathematics (College Outline Series) (1949, 1953,
1960, 1970)
New Outline of First Year College Physics (1944, 1946, 1948)
An Outline of First Year College Physics (College Outline Series)
(1937, 1943)
Physics (1952, 1954)
First Year College Physics (1954)
Descriptive Physics (1945)

As you can see, it's important that I know more about the particular
title you own. The ISBN is either in the frontmatter or is printed on
the back of the paperback. It's a 10-digit number right next to the
letters I-S-B-N. Can you do that, John?

PD

From: PD on
On May 5, 2:56 am, NoEinstein <noeinst...(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On May 4, 2:53 pm, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> PD loves to extrapolate things into unworkability, so he can claim
> everything was invalid.  MOMENTUM is:  F = mv, expressed in pounds.
> He'll find that same equation (but not the correct units, pounds) in
> most textbooks.  — NE —

No, I won't, John. That equation F=mv is not listed in most
textbooks.
When you can clearly identify which title you think DOES have that
listed, then I can look for myself.
As it is, since you obviously have problems reading an understanding a
single sentence from beginning to end, I have my doubts.