From: tbmoas58 on

"mcsteve" <mcstevex1350(a)verizon.net> wrote in message
> <tbmoas58(a)peoplepc.com> wrote:
>> I in fact recommened both the meyer upa1's at about 650$ each or the EAW
>> kf650 at about 1200.00(both used prices) as being suitable for the task
>> I also recommended the EAW la400 subs
>>

> You know, George...
> It dawned on me that your use of the phrase "over LA 400s"
> went right 'over' Bony's pointy little head. He probably thinks it
> meant "other than". As in, "I would recommend A over B".
> He probably doesn't know that the 400s are subs. But, why would he? He
> knows next to nothing.

but he felt he knew enough nto recommend the poster build a sound system
using only 6 la400's
it would be pretty solid up to about 120 Hz
who needs those pesky mids and highs anyway
george

From: Rupert on
On Nov 14, 3:32 pm, <tbmoa...(a)peoplepc.com> wrote:
> "Mike Dobony" <sw...(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote in message

> > "mcsteve" <mcstevex1...(a)verizon.net> wrote in message
>
> >> Once again, you exhibit how ignorant you are when it comes to the
> >> topic of live sound.
> >> EAW 650s and LA 400s are hardly "the best and most expensive"
> >> speakers out there. They are certainly good sounding boxes that
> >> can be bought at a reasonable price, but they hardly fit the hyperbole
> >> you've wrapped them in.
>
> > ??????????? Do you know how to read? King George recommended MEYER's,
> > NOT EAW.
>
> I in fact recommened both the meyer upa1's at about 650$ each or the EAW
> kf650 at about 1200.00(both used prices) as being suitable for the task
> I also recommended the EAW la400 subs

While I'm sure George is aware, for those of you playing at home not
familiar with the KF650, you will not find the recent incarnation for
$1200 USD, the KF650z. You might be able to find the KF650is or some
beat up KF650e's for around that price. The KF650z sounds noticeably
better then the 2 older versions which tend to be a bit harsh. I
suspect the new UX8800 EAW processor with the "Gunness Focusing"
technology will help them all sound even better, but the drivers and
new phase plug in the "z" version are much better.

Rupet
From: tbmoas58 on

"Rupert" <foodsteaks(a)linkline.com> wrote in message
> On Nov 14, 3:32 pm, <tbmoa...(a)peoplepc.com> wrote:
>> "Mike Dobony" <sw...(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote in message

>> > "mcsteve" <mcstevex1...(a)verizon.net> wrote in message

>> > ??????????? Do you know how to read? King George recommended MEYER's,
>> > NOT EAW.
>>
>> I in fact recommened both the meyer upa1's at about 650$ each or the EAW
>> kf650 at about 1200.00(both used prices) as being suitable for the task
>> I also recommended the EAW la400 subs
>

> While I'm sure George is aware, for those of you playing at home not
> familiar with the KF650, you will not find the recent incarnation for
> $1200 USD, the KF650z. You might be able to find the KF650is or some
> beat up KF650e's for around that price. The KF650z sounds noticeably
> better then the 2 older versions which tend to be a bit harsh. I
> suspect the new UX8800 EAW processor with the "Gunness Focusing"
> technology will help them all sound even better, but the drivers and
> new phase plug in the "z" version are much better.
>
> Rupet

yes new the box is pretty much at 2800 to 3000$ each
like my MSL3a's were 4000$ boxes that I bought for 1500 each
there are some very seriously good sounding boxes well within the price
range of even marginally sucessful bands
george

From: Mike Dobony on

<tbmoas58(a)peoplepc.com> wrote in message

> "Mike Dobony" <sword(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote in message
>>
>> <tbmoas58(a)peoplepc.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Mike Dobony" <sword(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote in message

>>> The band has 13 people in it
>>> this is not a bottom feeder operation
>>> the are playing FUNK
>>> bon your cleless as to what is needed
>>> sre they might get by on some mid grade jbl or some such but it will get
>>> trashed very quickly
>>>

>> I have seen JBL's hold up quite nicely. Just take a little care of them.
>>
>>> point is the upa1 are no longer in production and used ones go for
>>> 1000-1200 pair
>>> very reasonable for pro level speakers
>>> la400's are also in 600$ each price uses
>>> so you have a 5000$ investment that will sound GREAT AND have resale
>>> value almost equal to what you paid when its time to sell
>>>

>> Then why didn't you recommend the LA400's then? .
>
> do you even know what a la400 is
> and in fact I did recommend them
> here is a cut and paste from this very post
>
> Meyer upa1's( OR EAW KF650'S) over eaw la400's
>
> Six of then would do nicely
>
> do what nicely?
> I would not want a system that was simply 6 la400's

Sorry. I didn't even check them out. I was thinking of FOH speakers in an
array for more even sound distribution. I did do a search on the UPA1's and
cannot find any for sale. I also could not find any info on them unless you
are talking about hte UPA1-P's, a powered speaker. If so, the op could sell
some amps to make up the difference IF they can find any.

>> and fit the OP's budge of $4,000, not your budget of $5,000. Stick with
>> the OP's budget, not your own
>
> Used prices vary quite a bit and in today market 1000$ is likely the
> profit from les than 3 gigs

And ONLY if one borrows to make up any additional funds needed to bust a
budget. Not everyone is willing to do that.

> you really dont understand budgets do you bony
> they are not fixed numbers carved in stone unmuteable for any reason
> they are moveable goal posts that help guide twards a reasonable solution

By their very nature, budgets are almost fixed in stone. When I purchase a
property for rehabbing I have a FIXED budget based upon after repair value.
If I want to keep making a profit I MUST have a FIXED budget. I always
budget for more to allow for "unexpected" costs, which means I bid less than
the maximum allowable price to allow for these unbudgeted costs. Failing to
follow budgets results in losses. The primary purpose of a budget is to be
in control of the money, a simple, basic concept you have no grasp for.
Basic math. Basic economics. Ignore the budget, lose money. Follow the
budget, maximize profits. The only time a budget does not work is when it
is unreasonable, that is, there is not enough money to accomplish the goal
or the budget exceeds income or reasonable income. Example: $10 a week for
food doesn't work unless you are getting your food primarily from garbage
cans, a not all that uncommon occurrence for those who continuously spend
more than they make.

Mike D.

From: gwatts on
Mike Dobony wrote:

> ... I did do a search on the UPA1's and
> cannot find any for sale.

http://www.soundbroker.com/SPEAKERS/?listingid=8147
http://www.soundbroker.com/SPEAKERS/?listingid=33542
http://www.soundbroker.com/SPEAKERS/?listingid=33228
http://www.soundbroker.com/PA_SYSTEMS/?listingid=33462

from
http://www.hticsproaudio.com/used%20pro%20audio%20-%20speakers%20for%20sale_1.html
Meyer UPA1C 10 available $801.00 32179

....there are more.

> I also could not find any info on them unless you
> are talking about hte UPA1-P's, a powered speaker.

at
http://www.meyersound.com/products/legacy/

you'll find
http://www.meyersound.com/pdf/products/legacy/upa-1c_ds.pdf
http://www.meyersound.com/pdf/products/legacy/upa-1c_oi.pdf

I'm finding myself more in agreement with George, Phildo, etc. You
really should (at least) try harder, the above took me more time to cut
and paste than to find.