From: tbmoas58 on

"sam" <sam(a)green.eggs.ham> wrote in message news:473ec933$1(a)clear.net.nz...
> tbmoas58(a)peoplepc.com wrote:
>> just a little histroy for you bony
>> MEYER patentend the trapazoid box
>> they offered the first pro level "full range" speakers from the usa(sorry
>> I am not aware of european developments of around the same time, I
>> suspect turbosound and tannoy were right there with similar stuff at
>> about the same time)
>>
>> most every speaker sold today owes some heritage to the developments of
>> John Meyer
>>
>> he is a name you ought get to know
>> George
> Martin had a trapezoidal 215 bass cabinet many years befor the UPA1 came
> out.
> The RCA W cabinets were trapezoidal too. Clairs rig for Yes had
> trapezoidal 2 x 12 mids and trapezoidal 2 x 18 lows.
> The McCune JM10s that John Neyer designed were trapezoidal too.
> Plenty of prior art for trapezoidal shapes

though Meyer did recieve the patent. I guess the other makers found nothing
special, or patent worthy in thier designs, we all stand on the shoulders of
giants

> As far as full range cabinets go, Tycobrahe Systems had a full range PA
> cabinet syatem on tour before just about anyone else
> S4s were around many years before Meyer Sound even started, and there were
> plenty of full range JBL and Altec boxes available, two way versions of
> the 4560
> Northwest Sound had a full range cabinet for the Eagles PA, with two TAD
> 15s and A TAD horn, way before the UPA.

actually I was speaking of a directional long throw horn loaded full range
box, sorry for my lack of specs, what preceded the msl3?
I like my knowledge to be complete

> Turbosound didn't make any trapezoidal cabinets until very late on,
> neither did Tannoy.
> Thats not to detract from John Meyers tremendous contributions and
> brilliant innovation, just some perspective.

eing in the USA the boxes I was exposed to pretty much started with the
msl3's as the first mass produced for sale to the public touring cabinet?

not to diminish any other boxes but the place the msl3 took was second only
to the 850(a horrible boxIMO)

even today the msl3(a) is in heavy(pun intended) use
george

From: Eeyore on

tbmoas58(a)peoplepc.com wrote:

> "sam" <sam(a)green.eggs.ham> wrote
>
> > Martin had a trapezoidal 215 bass cabinet many years befor the UPA1 came
> > out.
> > The RCA W cabinets were trapezoidal too. Clairs rig for Yes had
> > trapezoidal 2 x 12 mids and trapezoidal 2 x 18 lows.
> > The McCune JM10s that John Neyer designed were trapezoidal too.
> > Plenty of prior art for trapezoidal shapes
>
> though Meyer did recieve the patent. I guess the other makers found nothing
> special, or patent worthy in thier designs, we all stand on the shoulders of
> giants

A US 'design patent' does not relate to any scientific or technological aspect
of a product. It merely covers its appearance.

It's highly disingenuous of Meyer to make a big deal of this patent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_patent
"In the United States, a design patent is a patent granted on the ornamental
design of a functional item. Design patents are a type of industrial design
right. Ornamental designs of jewelry, furniture, beverage containers (see Fig.
1) and computer icons are examples of what can be protected with design
patents."

It was NOT about any groundbreaking technological aspect of trapezoidal cabinets
at all. Merely to prevent people from making copycat 'clones' of the Meyer box.

Graham

From: gwatts on
Phildo wrote:
> "Mike Dobony" <sword(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote in message
>
>> With such a niche product as the UPA-1's, do you really believe the OP can
>> find them?
>
> Meyer is not a "niche product" but then if you really knew enough about
> sound to be able to teach it then you would know that.

tbmoas58(a)peoplepc.com wrote:
> With such a niche product as the UPA-1's, do you really
>> believe the OP can find them?
>
> meyer is HARDLY a niche product
> I would say it is one of the most popular pro level speakers in the world

I actually said that Meyer was a niche product and meant in the context
of the world that an internet search engine like google, yahoo, etc
would be searching. Very few people using those engines would be
searching for pro audio gear, and those searching for pro audio gear
should know or ask about who deals in such equipment.

That was an assumption based on how many times I've had to look at pages
and pages of searches for what I really wanted and not really finding it
easily. I ran searches for 'used meyer speakers,' 'used meyer upa1,'
and 'meyer upa1,' and didn't find any references to actual, available,
used UPA1's.
From: liquidator on

> "Peter Larsen" <plarsen(a)mail.tele.dk> wrote in message
> > Mike Dobony wrote:
> >

> > Mike, when the quote layers go that deep anybody but those who
participate
> > stops reading. All has been said three times over in such a thread.
Please
> > just bail out and count it a learning experience.
> >

> Yup, stupid me for thinking King George can be rational.

Yeah George was too dumb to reccommend the LA 400's, when you quoted him
recommending them. Pretty stupid on your part.

Then you suggested the guy use 6 LA 400's for a PA not realizing they are
subs.

Da Bonehead strikes again.

It is much fun watching your manipulations and lies. A man of God you are
not. An idiot who knows nothing about live sound, and less about business
you are.

From: tbmoas58 on
>> You NEVER heard me mix and you NEVER talked to anyone who did.

i never cut off my hand with a chainsaw, or talked to anyone that did, yet I
can understand it
you have posted here enough to give clear indication of your abilities as a
live sound operator