From: JohnO on
>>> this is BASIC vocabulary that is used by sound professionals to describe
>>> what they are talking about
>>
>> ????????????????????? What are you talking about?
>
> You should know. You claim that you TEACH sound so basic stuff like that
> should be second nature to you.

FYI, teachers don't always have the ability to keep up with changes in
jargon. Others handled this issues in this thread with some diplomacy and
tact. You don't seem able.

>>I am always complimented on my mixing.
>
> Big deal. I bet if any actual sound engineers heard it instead of a bunch
> of grannies then they would find plenty to criticise.

Change the audience and I'm sure the same could be said of you Phildo, or
for that matter any engineer. I hear the same type of compliments all the
time, and I KNOW that the job could be done better by someone who does it
more often. But so what...my audience is happy, and I'll strive to do
better.

> What part of "no god on this newsgroup ever" did you not understand?

Since you are the group moderator, there are a couple other subjects I'd
like to recommend be banned as well. Problem is, you are the one who
normally initiates them.

Have a great weekend guys!

-John O

From: Mike Dobony on

"gwatts" <gwatts(a)frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> Mike Dobony wrote:
>> "gwatts" <gwatts(a)frontiernet.net> wrote in message

>>>http://www.soundbroker.com/SPEAKERS/?listingid=8147
>>>http://www.soundbroker.com/SPEAKERS/?listingid=33542
>>>http://www.soundbroker.com/SPEAKERS/?listingid=33228
>>>http://www.soundbroker.com/PA_SYSTEMS/?listingid=33462
>>>
>>>from
>>>http://www.hticsproaudio.com/used%20pro%20audio%20-%20speakers%20for%20sale_1.html
>>>Meyer UPA1C 10 available $801.00 32179
>>>
>>>...there are more.

>>>at
>>>http://www.meyersound.com/products/legacy/
>>>
>>>you'll find
>>>http://www.meyersound.com/pdf/products/legacy/upa-1c_ds.pdf
>>>http://www.meyersound.com/pdf/products/legacy/upa-1c_oi.pdf
>>>

>>>I'm finding myself more in agreement with George, Phildo, etc. You
>>>really should (at least) try harder, the above took me more time to cut
>>>and paste than to find.
>>

>> What search engine did you use?
>
> Search engine? I don't need no steenking search engine. AH-HA HA HA HA
> HA...
>
> Seriously, Soundbroker and HTICS advertise frequently in the back of
> magazines like Pro Sound News and I've been doing business with them for
> quite a few years. Line items like single UPA-1's aren't going to pop up
> in internet search engines, it's a small enough, niche market that
> internet search engines will have any useful results buried pretty deep.

I've never really paid that much attention to the various suppliers. Thanks
for the source. It is now bookmarked. I may change my mind about what
speakers I will get, though all the the Meyer UPA-1's need some serious
reconditioning, even the ones that claim non-touring. They all look pretty
beat up. This also makes me question the condition of the cones and such.
Will internal components need replacing also?

This leads me to another problem with the suggestion. How is the OP going
to find such a product when they are not at all familiar with sites like
Soundbroker? With such a niche product as the UPA-1's, do you really
believe the OP can find them? Will the OP be able to keep in budget if the
used gear needs a total overhaul? This is why I prefer more common
products, like JBL, Yahama, EAW, etc.

> For manuals I always start with the manufacturer's web site, Meyer is one
> I have well bookmarked as I own a few pieces of their gear.

I don't have time to go hunting around for stuff like this. I have more
important work to do. I would much rather spend my valuable time helping
women and children avoid abuse than hunt around for niche product manuals.

From: Mike Dobony on

<tbmoas58(a)peoplepc.com> wrote in message

> Then you look like a genius!
>
> no you look like a goof that is not aware of what they are doing
> if I say I need 6 hours to set up a sound system when it only takes 2 then
> the promoter has a extra 16 man hours of union call labor to pay for that
> he did not need to incure ,
> please keep your analogies to actual live sound situations

Okay, someone comes to me with a budget of $10,000 to build a small
traveling system and I put together one for $8,000 that sounds great and is
easy to run. Or, someone askes me how much a particular system would cost
and from experience I give them an estimate of $10,000, based upon actual
seling prices. I then find them some good bargins (sales) on the equipment
and bring it in at $8,000. Estimate high and find the bargins.

>>> budgets are not fixed amounts, by thier very nature they are created
>>> before that actual cost can be determined
>>>

>> So? I know how much it costs to reroof a house and I know how much it
>> costs to repaint a house.
>
> bullshit,
>
> I add a fudge factor and allow for unseen repairs.
>
> so you really dont budget at all
> you just create some fictious number because you"feel" its appropriate

No, I plan for hidden costs. SOP. Armando is a millionaire by using this
proven system. Only an idiot sets up a budget for actual costs. When it
comes in under budget I get the extra profits. If I budget for actually
costs and there are excess costs I failed to budget properly. Part of a
wise budget is allowing for hidden, "unxpected" costs. STANDARD OPERATING
PROCEDURE for ANY successful business! IBM does it this way. 3M does it
this way. Walmart does it this way. Microsoft does it this way. Kraft
does it this way. All your fortune 500 companies do this. But then again,
they are too stupid to know what to do, right?

>>> you clearly are not a sound man or a business man
>>> nor a man who loves christ
>>>

>> On what basis do you say that? I am always complimented on my mixing.
>
> that would be a lie., and lying is against one of your gods commandments

Okay, PROVE IT! You NEVER heard me mix and you NEVER talked to anyone who
did. Slandering is ALSO a sin. Slandering a minister of God is slandering
God and a double sin.

>> live according to the common rules of business and investing. I have
>> been set free by Christ by the evidence to compare to in the Bible and
>> have helped many others become set free. He is my Lord. You have no
>> concept of what Lord means, because you condemn every authority, yet you
>> fire people for doing what you do.
>
> try that once more, only make sense next time
>
> and btw you may have a lord, but he has nothing to do with doing quality
> live sound

You are correct. He is not impressed with high quality sound. He is
impressed with high quality relationships. PEOPLE are a million times more
important than top quality sound. God judges on how we treat PEOPLE and
help PEOPLE with real problems.

> or if he does you are surely offending him

Isa 58:4-7

4 Behold, ye fast for strife and debate, and to smite with the fist of
wickedness: ye shall not fast as ye do this day, to make your voice to be
heard on high.

5 Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul?
is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes
under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD?

6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness,
to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye
break every yoke?

7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor
that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover
him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
KJV

People with REAL problems are more important to God than sound reinforcement
is. Why is that so hard for you to accept? Why do you hate helping people
with real problems? Sound quality is NOT a big issue. Poor sound quality
will not prevent people from finding freedom from sickness, poverty, or
injustice. The ONLY time sound quality is an issue is when it is so bad
that nobody can follow along with the songs or understand what is being
spoken. If it is intelligable and clear, what is the problem?

I don't condemn you for striving for excellence in what is important to you.
I don't consider it a problem for you to help someone who can afford top
quality equipment find the best available. I consider it a problem when you
demand that they overspend their budget

From: mcsteve on
"Mike Dobony" wrote:
> I prefer more common
> products, like JBL, Yahama, EAW, etc.

Meyer cabs are pretty damn common in pro sound.
But, that's a foreign topic to you, so I understand your
lack of awareness.

--
Steve <snip> McQ
From: Tim S Kemp on
Mike Dobony <sword(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote:

> People with REAL problems are more important to God than sound
> reinforcement is. Why is that so hard for you to accept? Why do you
> hate helping people with real problems? Sound quality is NOT a big
> issue. Poor sound quality will not prevent people from finding
> freedom from sickness, poverty, or injustice. The ONLY time sound
> quality is an issue is when it is so bad that nobody can follow along
> with the songs or understand what is being spoken. If it is
> intelligable and clear, what is the problem?

Then why bother? If you are interested in gaining favour with God through
good deeds then why are you involving yourself in livesound for worship,
which is a ministry to the body as much as to God, and more than to the
lost.

We all have our budgets and spend them as we see fit, be that before man or
before God. It is not your place to judge the actions of fellow men, that's
God's position, not yours or mine (or anyone else's). Given �10000 to spend
on a system and we'd all come up with different systems, but which would be
better?

One of the reasons I stopped getting involved in the online churchsound
forums and lists was the constant pre-occupation with the idea that for some
reason God's dollars spend differently to everyone elses, and God's sound
isn't like the rest of the world's.

Give me 20 of the church's dollars and it'll buy me the same length of
microphone cable as 20 of man's. Give me 10K to spend and whether it's
God's, churches, clients, my own, families or the Pope's I have a
responsibility to spend it wisely, or I'll not be entrusted with it again.

As for the sound quality issue - God gave us air, ears and the laws of
physics regardless of our beliefs. If you're not doing the best you can for
the budget and staff you have then you're doing everyone, including God, a
disservice.

--
re-configure the solar matrix in parallel for endothermic propulsion