From: tbmoas58 on

"gwatts" <gwatts(a)frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> Phildo wrote:
>> "Mike Dobony" <sword(a)notasarian-host.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> With such a niche product as the UPA-1's, do you really believe the OP
>>> can find them?
>>
>> Meyer is not a "niche product" but then if you really knew enough about
>> sound to be able to teach it then you would know that.
>
> tbmoas58(a)peoplepc.com wrote:
> > With such a niche product as the UPA-1's, do you really
> >> believe the OP can find them?
> >
> > meyer is HARDLY a niche product
> > I would say it is one of the most popular pro level speakers in the
> > world
>

> I actually said that Meyer was a niche product and meant in the context of
> the world that an internet search engine like google, yahoo, etc would be
> searching. Very few people using those engines would be searching for pro
> audio gear, and those searching for pro audio gear should know or ask
> about who deals in such equipment.
>
> That was an assumption based on how many times I've had to look at pages
> and pages of searches for what I really wanted and not really finding it
> easily. I ran searches for 'used meyer speakers,' 'used meyer upa1,' and
> 'meyer upa1,' and didn't find any references to actual, available, used
> UPA1's.

but had your searched "used loudspeakers" or Used sound equipmen" surely you
would have had no problem locateing the brokers
if you know what a upa1 is one would rightfully assume you know about
soundbroker and htics

if you didn't know about the upa1 then then general search for used sound
equipment would have brought you to places that sold them
in the end the buyer needs to be somewhat able to understand something about
what they are about to buy
either that or they might end up with a O2R when what they really needed was
a ladder to reorient a horn that was causeing feedback
george

From: tbmoas58 on
BTW Thank you for filling in those details
I appreciate it
George

From: sam on
tbmoas58(a)peoplepc.com wrote:
> "sam" <sam(a)green.eggs.ham> wrote in message news:473ec933$1(a)clear.net.nz...
>> tbmoas58(a)peoplepc.com wrote:
>>> just a little histroy for you bony
>>> MEYER patentend the trapazoid box
>>> they offered the first pro level "full range" speakers from the usa(sorry
>>> I am not aware of european developments of around the same time, I
>>> suspect turbosound and tannoy were right there with similar stuff at
>>> about the same time)
>>>
>>> most every speaker sold today owes some heritage to the developments of
>>> John Meyer
>>>
>>> he is a name you ought get to know
>>> George
>> Martin had a trapezoidal 215 bass cabinet many years befor the UPA1 came
>> out.
>> The RCA W cabinets were trapezoidal too. Clairs rig for Yes had
>> trapezoidal 2 x 12 mids and trapezoidal 2 x 18 lows.
>> The McCune JM10s that John Neyer designed were trapezoidal too.
>> Plenty of prior art for trapezoidal shapes
>
> though Meyer did recieve the patent. I guess the other makers found nothing
> special, or patent worthy in thier designs, we all stand on the shoulders of
> giants

Meyer applied for a design patent, which only covered them against
look-alike UPA1s, not an exclusive right to the trapezoid cabinet
package shape, that has always been free of patents due to the prior art

>> As far as full range cabinets go, Tycobrahe Systems had a full range PA
>> cabinet syatem on tour before just about anyone else
>> S4s were around many years before Meyer Sound even started, and there were
>> plenty of full range JBL and Altec boxes available, two way versions of
>> the 4560
>> Northwest Sound had a full range cabinet for the Eagles PA, with two TAD
>> 15s and A TAD horn, way before the UPA.
>
> actually I was speaking of a directional long throw horn loaded full range
> box, sorry for my lack of specs, what preceded the msl3?
> I like my knowledge to be complete

The Northwest TAD box, and the JM10 were both 60 x 40 horn loaded full
range. The msl3 wasn't any more "long throw" than that.

>> Turbosound didn't make any trapezoidal cabinets until very late on,
>> neither did Tannoy.
>> Thats not to detract from John Meyers tremendous contributions and
>> brilliant innovation, just some perspective.
>
> eing in the USA the boxes I was exposed to pretty much started with the
> msl3's as the first mass produced for sale to the public touring cabinet?
>
> not to diminish any other boxes but the place the msl3 took was second only
> to the 850(a horrible boxIMO)
>
> even today the msl3(a) is in heavy(pun intended) use
> george

Sure you can redefine your criteria down to one that just fits the MSL-3
Trapezoidal arrayable phase plugged full-range off the shelf available
only to a select cartel of operators by direct sale etc should do it.
Meyer were pretty much the first to produce such systems off the shelf.
Before that all the concert touring companies had proprietary systems
designed in house. The JM10 design was one example.
I last saw proper concert systems of msl3s being used for outdoor opera
about 12 years ago, but durable boxes like that always find a ready
second hand market.
From: Mike Dobony on

"mcsteve" <mcstevex1350(a)verizon.net> wrote in message
> "Mike Dobony" wrote:
>> I prefer more common products, like JBL, Yahama, EAW, etc.
>>

> Meyer cabs are pretty damn common in pro sound.
> But, that's a foreign topic to you, so I understand your
> lack of awareness.

Not that common in CHURCH sound, my area of experience. Most churches do
not go to audio contractors for purchasing gear and as such will not know
about how to get Meyer gear. The rank and file musicians I deal with do not
know Meyer brand so would not be able to go into a music store and find it.
Neither do the big online catalog stores, again, where many churches and
bands go to purchase gear. As a result, I prefer to recommend more commonly
available gear. Too bad of that is a problem with you. I prefer to
recommend products that can be factory serviced locally. Why is that so
much of a problem for you to understand? Service is just as important, if
not more so, than extravagant sound quality. My "problem" is not awareness
of Meyer brand, but serviceability and local availability. I find it much
better for most customers to be able to get problems taken care of by a
local service center, which is much more likely with the more widely
available brands than with the more upscale brands. Just because I prefer
to recommend commonly available brands does not mean I am not familiar with
the names and quality of the upscale products. Because of this I prefer to
not waste time learning all the products and availability of these brands,
like Meyer. Meyer is a fine brand and excellent quality speakers, but my
customer basedoesn't need them to accomplish their goals. Most of the time
it is like buying a 1 ton truck just to drive back and forth to work and
carry a few hand and power tools, gross overkill. The more commonly
available and less expensive JBL's Yamahas, and EAW's accomplish the goals
more than adequately.

From: sam on
Mike Dobony wrote:
> "mcsteve" <mcstevex1350(a)verizon.net> wrote in message
>> "Mike Dobony" wrote:
>>> I prefer more common products, like JBL, Yahama, EAW, etc.
>>>
>> Meyer cabs are pretty damn common in pro sound.
>> But, that's a foreign topic to you, so I understand your
>> lack of awareness.
>>

> Not that common in CHURCH sound, my area of experience.

A church is just another gig for a pro company.

http://www.meyersound.com/news/2005/point_of_grace/
http://www.meyersound.com/news/2005/community_lutheran/
http://www.meyersound.com/news/2007/second_baptist_church/
http://www.meyersound.com/news/2002/davis_islands/