First  |  Prev |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
NAS appliance or home server
I've been meaning, for some time, to provide some sort of storage server for the motley collection of computers -- some Windows and some linux based -- that lurk around here. The primary requirement is that it be able to run headless, and that it support both samba/cfs and NFS from a RAID-1 array (probably 2x75... 4 Sep 2008 10:55
Linux Laptops
I am considering a laptop for my grown up daughter, Dell Inspiron 1525 seems to manage to do all she needs for Googlemail, web browsing and a little word processing. It's also got a 160gig harddrive so I can get it to dual boot whatever form of Microsoft it comes with, although I went straight from windows to Slack... 19 Jun 2008 01:24
X problem: failsafe has become the default
I have had a perfectly good working Ubuntu 7.10 system with the nvidia driver. Until I bought a new mouse and edited the mouse section of xorg.conf (though I'm not convinced that has anything to do with it - it was something else involved in the reboot I'm sure) I had 1280x1024. The mouse works fine, but X now i... 30 Dec 2007 18:11
Missing window title bars in openSUSE 10.3
I have developed a problem on my Toshiba laptop running openSUSE 10.3. All the windows are missing their title bars (the coloured bit at the top that has the program name and the maximise, minimise and close buttons). This has happened for all usres on the machine, irrespective of whether they login using Gnome... 12 Nov 2007 18:48
Problem mounting CDROM drive ide-scsi
Greetings. This is not an urgent request for help since I will be upgrading to kernel 2.6 sometime soon, but if some of you kind experts have a look at my diagnostics it might be apparent what my problem is. My setup is slackware 10.1 with kernel 2.4.31 I recently activated ide-scsi to use cdrecord. Now I ... 16 Jul 2007 06:02
NatWest card reader
Just received magazine from NatWest which mentions they're bringing out card readers for extra security on home banking (www.natwest.com/reader). The site has 'Getting Started' etc., but nowhere (that I have found) does it actually menetion connecting to your PC! I assume it's a USB device; the question is, is ther... 26 Jul 2007 18:03
best distro for old laptop
Hello all, trying to reduce my leccy consumption . Current box + monitor ~=220w , 15 hrs/day -> ~3kwh / day . So as part of the economy drive , I thought I might be able to use my wifes old toshiba satellite pro 430cdt ( *32MB* ram, 1.2GB hdd , 120MHz pentium) laptop (has floppy and a cdrom a... 5 Jul 2007 18:41
Wireshark - capture file analysis.
Hi, Maybe a little off topic as Wireshark is available in several flavours but.... I have captured traffic from our corporate LAN for about a week and now I have a sizeable collection of 20MB capture files. Are there any tools available for Linux that will parse the information in the capture files and e... 10 May 2007 09:58
Kernel option to mount by UUID
I just installed Ubuntu Feisty on my laptop. Its update-grub insists on referring to root by its UUID instead of /dev name which makes my self-compiled kernel panic at start-up if I forget to change it back (kind of defeats the point of grub). I can't work out what to enable in the kernel to make it work. The best ... 8 Mar 2007 12:24
Relocating the .ICEauthority (Debian/GNOME)
I'd like (probably for very bad reasons) to relocate the .ICEauthority file when a GNOME login is underway. This is to allow mounting of $HOME over sshfs (I said it was a bad reason). I can't get it to relocate. I tried ICEAUTHORITY environment variable, and editing some random setting in /etc/gdm/gdm.conf for th... 28 Feb 2007 10:32