From: Eeyore on

gwatts wrote:

> Eeyore wrote:
> > George's Pro Sound Company wrote:
> >>
> >> when i spec show power it is in terms of total amps
> >
> > POWER is measured in WATTS !
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_(physics)
>
> 'Power' in American slang, given the context, means 'Electrical Mains
> Service'. You say 'service' to an American electrician in a backstage
> context and he might punch you. Well, statistically 90% might punch you.
>
> > CURRENT is measured in AMPS
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_current
>
> When telling the venue electrician what your power needs are you specify
> in amps and single or three phase. When in Rome...

What voltages do they come in ?

Graham

From: Eeyore on

George's Pro Sound Company wrote:

> "gwatts" <gwatts(a)frontiernet.net> wrote
> > Eeyore wrote:

> >> Is there anything stopping you using 240V for non-stationary applications
> >> other than inertia ?
> >
> > No, it's actually done all the time, just not usually in the home.
> >
> > The place I work has test equipment, pumps, compressors, welders, etc that
> > all are portable and run on 240. All the floor maintenance equipment is
> > 240, and anything in the machine shop that you don't pick up to use is 240
> > and cabled as portable because they reconfigure frequently for special
> > jobs.
> >
> > Where I used to work we had the Midas house and monitor consoles on 240
>
> and were these 24 ch desks designed for smaller venues?
>
> > with all the other signal processing gear on 120. We gave a visiting Oz
> > engineer 240 for his racks a few times, he was pleasantly surprised.
>
> and how did you address the 50/60hz issues?

WHAT issue ? 50Hz power supplies work fine on 60. It's the other way round that
can be problematic.

> If I was doing 200,000 people in stadiums perhaps I might have diffrent
> needs
>
> but to design a 24 ch desk the REQUIRES 3 phase to even turn it on for the
> USA tour market is a bonehead blunder that would instantly make the product
> unsellable to the USA

How much POWER did it need ? You don't seem to be able to get your head round
that. I bet it doesn't *REQUIRE* 3 phase at all.

Graham

From: George's Pro Sound Company on

"gwatts" <gwatts(a)frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> Eeyore wrote:
>>
>> George's Pro Sound Company wrote:
>>
>>> normally there are no connecters, everything is a hard tie in beytween
>>> me and the venue
>>
>> Totally avoidable with IEC 60309 connectors.
>> http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/PDF/technical/COMMANDO_prod.pdf
>>
>> Impossible to mis-mate different voltages. Available in splashproof and
>> watertight version. Single and 3 phase.
>
> and godawful expensive.
>
> We use tails tied in to a disconnect switch a/k/a 'Company box' and
> occasionally camlocks because that's what the insurance companies let us
> do in the delicate balance between safety and cost. It takes about 15
> minutes to tie in tails and usually the promoter pays an electrician to do
> it. I check voltages before I switch on and it works just fine.
>
> Red Rocks Amphitheater west of Denver has camlocks at switches in the
> wings, and more than just a few-100 amps available. We had power to our
> motors before the first truck was half unloaded and left the power feeder
> on the reel.
>

>> Note the 240V 125A connector ( 30 kW).
>>
>> Graham
>>

> If I had a big, portable distribution panel that I frequently hauled out
> into a hotel ballroom or convention hall I could see using an IEC60309,
> and I've seen a few of 'em in the US, but they usually have an adapter
> that ends in camlocks, if they don't have camlocks in the first place.

Camlocs and tails is how its done. from county fairs to festivals to one off
at the college multi use room
if you want to recreate the world eyesore be at it
but your tilting at windmills, as is par for the course with you
George

From: liquidator on

> Where I used to work we had the Midas house and monitor consoles on 240
> with all the other signal processing gear on 120. We gave a visiting Oz
> engineer 240 for his racks a few times, he was pleasantly surprised.
>
> Just about all venues in the US can supply 240, when they didn't we'd
> rent a small Aggreko.

You haven't read the thread. you haven't even a clue what the discussion is
about.

We are talking touring desks, and just like Graham you spount nonsense that
doesn't apply.
Anybody who has done a few gigs knows everythinbg you posted about 240. I
never said 240 wasn't available. I said I ain't gonna run 300 feet of 240 to
mix position because some silly little company wants to build their mixer
that way.

Grow a clue or brain, whichever comes first.

From: liquidator on

"Eeyore" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> All you need to do now is put IEC 60309 connectors on it and off you go !

Realoly dumb statement Graham.

Please list all the venues in the US with 240 at MIX posuion. Then all the
outside events.

Your entire argument gets sillier with every post. You are just plain wrong,
and gwatts is a bonehead who doesn't even understand the discussion.

Siding with a bonehead just because he agrees with you isn't good policy.