From: 0junk4me on

On 2008-11-29 bmoas(a)yahoo.com said:
>>> Totally avoidable with IEC 60309 connectors.
>>> http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/PDF/technical/COMMANDO_prod.pdf
>>> Impossible to mis-mate different voltages. Available in
>>>splashproof and watertight version. Single and 3 phase.
>> and godawful expensive.
Have never seen one of these.
>> If I had a big, portable distribution panel that I frequently
>>hauled out into a hotel ballroom or convention hall I could see
>>using an IEC60309, and I've seen a few of 'em in the US, but they
>>usually have an adapter that ends in camlocks, if they don't have
>camlocks in the first place.
My remote truck has camlocks, can handle 3 phase or 240 vac,
switchable for whichever is offered at the truck.

>Camlocs and tails is how its done. from county fairs to festivals
>to one off at the college multi use room
THat's what I've known for years. STill, if these
connectors are as foolproof as advertised (can't do pdf here
and have never physically encountered them) I would think
some would be adopting them.

HOw many folks in the u.S. are seeing these anywhere?

Richard webb,
replace anything before at with elspider

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania

From: George's Pro Sound Company on

<0junk4me(a)bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> >> and godawful expensive.
> Have never seen one of these.
> >> If I had a big, portable distribution panel that I frequently
> >>hauled out into a hotel ballroom or convention hall I could see
> >>using an IEC60309, and I've seen a few of 'em in the US, but they
> >>usually have an adapter that ends in camlocks, if they don't have
> >camlocks in the first place.
> My remote truck has camlocks, can handle 3 phase or 240 vac,
> switchable for whichever is offered at the truck.
>
> >Camlocs and tails is how its done. from county fairs to festivals
> >to one off at the college multi use room
> THat's what I've known for years. STill, if these
> connectors are as foolproof as advertised (can't do pdf here
> and have never physically encountered them) I would think
> some would be adopting them.
>
> HOw many folks in the u.S. are seeing these anywhere?

The local college has them,(ip67) about 1000 USd for a mateing pair, and
they are NOT rugged, several of the colleges are outof service haveing
broken sleeves and or broken locking rings
and the mating is so tight it often takes three people to do it
the look like a great solution, aside from the cost and the fact they break
on a regular basis
so the short of it is they are junk
I would NEVER base a touring PD around these POS things

Ok for convention centers with unlimited budgets and idiots doing the power
drops, but as a day in day out connector they suck rotten eggs
George

From: Eeyore on

liquidator wrote:

> We don't send yiou guys 120 volt stuff then whine it doesn't sell.

Since only 12% of the world population doesn't use 220-240V it would be rather
silly after all.

Graham

From: Eeyore on

0junk4me(a)bellsouth.net wrote:

> >> and godawful expensive.
> Have never seen one of these.
> >> If I had a big, portable distribution panel that I frequently
> >>hauled out into a hotel ballroom or convention hall I could see
> >>using an IEC60309, and I've seen a few of 'em in the US, but they
> >>usually have an adapter that ends in camlocks, if they don't have
> >camlocks in the first place.
> My remote truck has camlocks, can handle 3 phase or 240 vac,
> switchable for whichever is offered at the truck.
>
> >Camlocs and tails is how its done. from county fairs to festivals
> >to one off at the college multi use room
> THat's what I've known for years. STill, if these
> connectors are as foolproof as advertised (can't do pdf here
> and have never physically encountered them)

There's a short mention of them here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_and_multiphase_power_plugs_and_sockets#Europe-wide_IEC_60309_system

> I would think some would be adopting them.
>
> HOw many folks in the u.S. are seeing these anywhere?

Did G Watts say he had ?
Since it's an International Standard I'd expect to see creeping adoption
everywhere. I think China has adopted them too.

Nice features .....
"Voltage is represented by a color code (in three-phase plugs the stated
voltage is the phase-phase voltage, not the phase-neutral voltage). The
different voltages have the earth pin of a larger diameter than the others,
and located in different places depending on the voltage rating, making it
impossible to mate, for instance, a blue plug with a yellow socket. Since
the different current ratings have different overall sizes, it is also not
possible to mate different pin configurations or current ratings. For
example, a 16 A 3P+E 400 V plug will not mate with a 16 A 3P+N+E 400 V
socket and a 16 A 2P+E 230 V plug will not mate with a 32 A 2P+E 230 V
socket."

So you simply CANNOT misconnect and no electrician is required to connect
your tails to the panel.

They're commonly called Ceeforms btw. Cee pronounced 'sea'.

Graham

From: liquidator on

"Eeyore" <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> liquidator wrote:
>
> > We don't send yiou guys 120 volt stuff then whine it doesn't sell.
>
> Since only 12% of the world population doesn't use 220-240V it would be
rather
> silly after all.
>
> Graham

Just as silly as a British company building a product that doesn't suit the
US, or any other, market.

Companies that do not deal with reality go bankrupt...