First  |  Prev |  Next  |  Last
Clone QNX/POSIX HDD via Acronis or Norton Ghost?
Clone QNX/POSIX HDD via Acronis or Norton Ghost? Anyone know if booting from a bootable disc of Acronis or Norton Ghost, will permit me to: 1. Clone an existing Clone QNX/POSIX HDD (250GB) to a new 500GB HDD? (my hunch is that both will permit this) 2. The tougher part may be in how to expand the main ... 18 Oct 2009 01:59
Battery backup: problem with my APC?
I was sitting at my desk yesterday during a storm when there was a split-second power outage. Despite the fact that my battery shows all 5 lights lit, the computer died. Is there a better brand to use than APC? Can the battery be sub-par even though the test lights say it is OK? What have others of you chos... 22 Oct 2009 15:16
OK to leave approx 5% free space on 500GB NTFS partition?
I've got a 500 GB partition on my XP system. The drive is about 460 GB full. The partition is used to store jpegs which are typically 150KB to 250KB. The file sizes are tiny compared to the space left. So although there is under 10% free space, will it cause noticeable performance problems if I store a... 13 Oct 2009 16:41
Intel SS4000-E
Hello, I have one problem with Intel NAS. I have lot of small sized files (single page TIF images) on my storage system. Now, some file system corruption has occured and now I can't access to some folders, or even I can access them but can't delete it (they are empty if browsed from explorer). When I connect ... 13 Oct 2009 04:29
CHKDSK error
I was asking about XP Chkdsk in another thread and now Chkdsk reports a glitch on my system. I ran Chkdsk in XP's line command box and got this: --------------------- C:\Documents and Settings\Alfo>chkdsk The type of the file system is NTFS. Volume label is C:XP SYSTEM2 WARNING! F parameter not specified... 12 Oct 2009 05:12
What's a good external HDD to buy these days? (2.5" size)
Question: Do 2.5" HDD enclosure for 2.5" HDDs exists? I recall that notebooks/laptops use this size. It would be nice to be able to have one that uses 2.5" size when I still have my old regular sized HD enclosure for the desktop size ones. -- "..., you ready for a little dumpster diving?" "Um... okay." "You kn... 23 Nov 2009 05:13
Do disk defraggers check file systems first?
"alfo" <alfo(a)invalid.com> wrote in message news:Xns9C9C913F9263DD4AM2(a)newsfarm.ams2.highwinds-media.com... In general, do disk defragmenters for Windows XP perform a file system integrity check (like XP's CHKDSK) before they start moving data around? I'm thinking of defraggers like Diskeeper and Perf... 5 Nov 2009 04:26
Bad Clusters vs. Bad Sectors
Hello! Am I understanding correctly that these terms are basically the same? If so, then why did my client's updated Windows 2000 SP4's chkdsk (/r /f parameters and rebooted to run it) on a HDD (NTFS) in an old Dell Optiplex system say there was a bad cluster and was able to move a file to a better place, bu... 21 Oct 2009 01:38
smartctl when disks are in standby (Linux)
I've been playing around a little with standby for disks on a Linux system - mostly it works well, with disks waking up automatically as needed. If I try a smartctl test ("smartctl -t short /dev/sda") on a standby drive, however, it fails - it will wake up the drive, but smartctl gives up waiting and returns a... 28 Sep 2009 03:45
making a removable SSD drive nonremovable
You want the Hitachi cfadisk disk filter driver (source included). http://www.lancelhoff.com/downloads/USB_LocalDisk.zip http://www.lancelhoff.com/make-windows-see-any-usb-flash-drive-as-local-disk/ However, I could not get pagefile.sys created with or without it. I did run a disk editor on the root dir, and see ... 22 Sep 2009 15:12
First  |  Prev |  Next  |  Last