First  |  Prev |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114
Finder using near 100% CPU - 10.6
I noticed that my new iMac running MacOS 10.6.1 (and all current updates) had its Finder using rather a lot of CPU - it seems (now, after having been left running for several hours) to be using as near to 100% CPU as it can for a lot of the time. The processes mds and mdworker were also using noticable CPU when I... 14 Oct 2009 22:31
Apple 24" Cinema Displays!
The latest one that is: http://www.apple.com/uk/displays/ As I move forward trying to make the desktop experiance for me even better Im seriously considering one of these, but before I shell out over 600 sheets on a display, is there any reason why not to? Im guessing that Im never going to be able to hook a ... 12 Oct 2009 17:29
Micro Men
Not strictly on-topic but I know a few of us here are into computer history and/or/ Acorn/Sinclair stuff. Show last week sometime, repeated Monday, 10pm, BBC4. Also on BBC iPlayer. It depicts the battle between Clive Sinclair and Chris Curry in the early 80's. It spans the time from just before Chris left Sinc... 15 Oct 2009 08:19
Quartz dust and scratch filter?
I have a Windows-only slide scanner that I'm starting to make use of. It comes bundled with Silverfast and is basically ok, but the dust and scratch removal bit is an utter pain since it takes so long. What would be better would be for me to be able to scan them unprocessed, then batch filter the lot. I don't ... 11 Oct 2009 09:19
10.6 permissions repair - odd warning
I've just run Disk Utility to repair permissions on my new iMac. I saw this rather strange warning: 2009-10-09 12:23:25 +0100: Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacO S/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired. Does anyone understand the signifi... 9 Oct 2009 09:19
New Wireless Modem Router Time
So I have been using my Netgear DG834G for the last 5 years and I think it's starting to give up on me so I have decided to get something new. I am unsure what works well so I am here asking for advice. I need it to be: Easy to set up PC compatible Stable connection Wireless Have a modem built in. I... 11 Oct 2009 10:25
Whither Directory Utility
Did I miss a memo? Directory Utility is not present in /Applications/Utilities (or anywhere else that Spotlight knows about) What happened to it? Cheers, -- James Dore New College IT Officer james.dore(a)new / it-support(a)new ... 6 Oct 2009 09:13
iBook keeps self-assigning IP address
For no apparent reason my iBook G4 suddenly gets it into its head to ignore the IP address sent out by my wireless router, self-assign one and cut me off from the internet. It has been happening again a few minutes ago. It doesn't happen too often, but when it does, I simply turn the wireless router off and on agai... 6 Oct 2009 03:27
External HDs
Tim Hodgson wrote: What's the current opinion on these, other than "stay away from LaCie"? Looking for a 1TB 3.5" drive + enclosure, that spins down and up properly on sleep and wake. Quiet is good. Are the Western Digital Mybooks a safe bet? Any others worth a look? 2 LaCie here; the first -... 5 Oct 2009 10:10
Odd locked directory - .HFS+ Private Directory Data
Can anyone tell me what a directory called ..HFS+ Private Directory Data^M (yep, including the ctrl-M on the end; displayed as ? normally) is all about? I've think I've been having issues with such directories not wanting to be deleted because they are locked. Holding opt down when empying the trash deal... 30 Sep 2009 03:32