From: bill.sloman on

John Larkin wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 01:36:44 GMT, Phat Bytestard
> <phatbytestard(a)getinmahharddrive.org> wrote:
>
> >On 29 Jul 2006 16:17:15 -0700, bill.sloman(a)ieee.org Gave us:

> Fred and Bill aren't stupid, they're just nasty. And it's a twisted
> irony that even nasty people need friends.

And precisely who around here is nice?

Spehro Pefhany probably qualifies. Win Hill is mostly okay, but has
been known to succumb to provocation. Tony Williams does seem to be
utterly resistant to provocation, as do most the U.K. contingent, but
that may be social conditioning, rather than intrinsic good character.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

From: John Larkin on
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:31:37 GMT, Phat Bytestard
<phatbytestard(a)getinmahharddrive.org> wrote:

> Wrong. You're an idiot. I am currently working on the world's next
>protector, the Joint Strike Fighter Program.

Hey, so am I. They're using my arbs to simulate all sorts of stuff to
the engine control computers, so they can test the software before
they actually fly it. The driveshaft to the lift fan is interesting...
32,000 hp excites all sorts of twists and vibration modes. We make
some tach/overspeed modules too, and we're working on a realtime
torque sensor thing. We're doing thermocouple and RTD simulators too,
for pretty much the same reasons.

Nowadays planes are just sensors, computers, and actuators, with lots
of software connecting them. So a major development item is coding and
testing the software. "A bug every 10 lines" just won't do here.

JSF is cool. Single engine, vertical takeoff and land, supersonic
without afterburners. Pratt&Whitney engine.

John

From: John Larkin on
On 31 Jul 2006 07:42:26 -0700, bill.sloman(a)ieee.org wrote:

>John Larkin wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 01:36:44 GMT, Phat Bytestard
>> <phatbytestard(a)getinmahharddrive.org> wrote:
>>
>> >On 29 Jul 2006 16:17:15 -0700, bill.sloman(a)ieee.org Gave us:
>

>> Fred and Bill aren't stupid, they're just nasty. And it's a twisted
>> irony that even nasty people need friends.
>
>And precisely who around here is nice?
>
>Spehro Pefhany probably qualifies. Win Hill is mostly okay, but has
>been known to succumb to provocation. Tony Williams does seem to be
>utterly resistant to provocation, as do most the U.K. contingent, but
>that may be social conditioning, rather than intrinsic good character.

I practise differential niceness.

John

From: Spehro Pefhany on
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 08:32:56 -0700, the renowned John Larkin
<jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>On 31 Jul 2006 07:42:26 -0700, bill.sloman(a)ieee.org wrote:
>

>>John Larkin wrote:

>>> Fred and Bill aren't stupid, they're just nasty. And it's a twisted
>>> irony that even nasty people need friends.
>>
>>And precisely who around here is nice?
>>
>>Spehro Pefhany probably qualifies. Win Hill is mostly okay, but has
>>been known to succumb to provocation. Tony Williams does seem to be
>>utterly resistant to provocation, as do most the U.K. contingent, but
>>that may be social conditioning, rather than intrinsic good character.
>
>I practise differential niceness.
>
>John

Me too. I take things out on Wife, Kid, Dog, etc. so as to be able to
present a more pleasant usenet persona.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
speff(a)interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com
From: John Fields on
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 08:32:56 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>I practise differential niceness.

---
I practice deferential niceness.

Well, in the beginning, at least... mostly... ;)

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer