From: John Larkin on
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:41:52 GMT, "Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie"
<eatmyshorts(a)doubleclick.net> wrote:

>> I practise differential niceness.
>>

>In "A Child's Garden of Grass, a Pre-legalization Comedy", one of the
>recommended ways of acquiring free marijuana is: "Be very very nice
>to everyone you meet." :-)

That's impractical. A better approach is "always be somewhat nicer
than they are" which still leaves a lot of latitude to be nasty.

Besides, as Jim says, real life matters, and this don't.

John

From: bill.sloman on

From: John Fields on
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:44:54 GMT, "Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie"
<eatmyshorts(a)doubleclick.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 08:30:42 -0700, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:31:37 GMT, Phat Bytestard
>>
>>> Wrong. You're an idiot. I am currently working on the world's next
>>>protector, the Joint Strike Fighter Program.
>>
>> Hey, so am I. They're using my arbs to simulate all sorts of stuff to
>> the engine control computers, so they can test the software before
>> they actually fly it. The driveshaft to the lift fan is interesting...
>> 32,000 hp excites all sorts of twists and vibration modes. We make
>> some tach/overspeed modules too, and we're working on a realtime
>> torque sensor thing. We're doing thermocouple and RTD simulators too,
>> for pretty much the same reasons.
>>
>> Nowadays planes are just sensors, computers, and actuators, with lots
>> of software connecting them. So a major development item is coding and
>> testing the software. "A bug every 10 lines" just won't do here.
>>
>> JSF is cool. Single engine, vertical takeoff and land, supersonic
>> without afterburners. Pratt&Whitney engine.
>>

>It's just so tragic that all of that knowledge and technology is applied
>to killing people. )-;

---
If it wasn't for all that knowledge and technology you might very
well be speaking German or Japanese right now, if at all.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
From: bill.sloman on

John Larkin wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 14:23:07 -0500, John Fields
> <jfields(a)austininstruments.com> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 08:32:56 -0700, John Larkin
> ><jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I practise differential niceness.
> >
> >---
> >I practice deferential niceness.
> >
> >Well, in the beginning, at least... mostly... ;)
>
> No, really. If Bill, or even Fred, were to post something nice, I
> would reply in kind. I am, of course, unlikely to be called on that
> promise.

Here's something I posted earlier.

"As you'd know if you followed the postings on high speed logic, John
Larkin our guru on that particular subject - I laid out my only ECLinPs

board around 1996, as a retrofit into a TTL-based pulse generator for
electron spin resonance, and lack current hand-on experience."

Not all that nice - but it did anticipate your request by a few days,
since it was posted on Tues, Jul 18 2006 12:40 pm in the "FREQ
COUNTER help" thread. I wasn't all that nice to John Fields, but he
seems to think he gives as good as he gets. I don't feel too guilty
about that.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

From: Richard The Dreaded Libertarian on
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 17:09:52 -0500, John Fields wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:44:54 GMT, "Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie"
>>On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 08:30:42 -0700, John Larkin wrote:
>>> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:31:37 GMT, Phat Bytestard

>>> Hey, so am I. They're using my arbs to simulate all sorts of stuff to
>>> the engine control computers, so they can test the software before
>>> they actually fly it. The driveshaft to the lift fan is interesting...
>>> 32,000 hp excites all sorts of twists and vibration modes. We make
>>> some tach/overspeed modules too, and we're working on a realtime
>>> torque sensor thing. We're doing thermocouple and RTD simulators too,
>>> for pretty much the same reasons.
>>>
>>> Nowadays planes are just sensors, computers, and actuators, with lots
>>> of software connecting them. So a major development item is coding and
>>> testing the software. "A bug every 10 lines" just won't do here.
>>>
>>> JSF is cool. Single engine, vertical takeoff and land, supersonic
>>> without afterburners. Pratt&Whitney engine.
>>
>>It's just so tragic that all of that knowledge and technology is applied
>>to killing people. )-;
>
> If it wasn't for all that knowledge and technology you might very
> well be speaking German or Japanese right now, if at all.

Yeah, great, it won us a two-front war fifty years ago.

We Won!

We're the Champs!

So now, why do we have to KEEP ON KILLING people? How long do you have to
keep proving you're king of the hill, before you become a grown-up and
start to lead by example?

Is it just a mental disease?

Thanks,
Rich