From: John Perry on
Richard The Dreaded Libertarian wrote:
....> If it wasn't for all that knowledge and technology you might very
>> well be speaking German or Japanese right now, if at all.
>
> Yeah, great, it won us a two-front war fifty years ago.
>
> We Won!
>
> We're the Champs!
>
> So now, why do we have to KEEP ON KILLING people? How long do you have to
> keep proving you're king of the hill, before you become a grown-up and
> start to lead by example?
>
> Is it just a mental disease?

Spoken like a true and loyal follower of Neville Chamberlain and
Mareschal Vichy!

From: Jim Thompson on
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:35:43 -0400, John Perry <jp(a)no.spam> wrote:

>Richard The Dreaded Libertarian wrote:
>...> If it wasn't for all that knowledge and technology you might very
>>> well be speaking German or Japanese right now, if at all.
>>
>> Yeah, great, it won us a two-front war fifty years ago.
>>
>> We Won!
>>
>> We're the Champs!
>>
>> So now, why do we have to KEEP ON KILLING people? How long do you have to
>> keep proving you're king of the hill, before you become a grown-up and
>> start to lead by example?
>>
>> Is it just a mental disease?
>
>Spoken like a true and loyal follower of Neville Chamberlain and
>Mareschal Vichy!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rich

Well? We all know that "peace in our time" is a workable proposition,
all men are good to their word, and terrorists obey the Geneva
Convention ;-)

And Rich/Richard the @#$%&* IS a mental case ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

From: Eeyore on

Jim Thompson wrote:

> Well? We all know that "peace in our time" is a workable proposition,
> all men are good to their word, and terrorists obey the Geneva
> Convention ;-)

It would be nice if the USA which likes to tout itself as a civilised example to
the rest of the world could obey the Geneva Convention wouldn't it ?

Graham

From: John Larkin on
On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 01:06:46 +0100, Eeyore
<rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)REMOVETHIS.hotmail.com> wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote:
>
>> Well? We all know that "peace in our time" is a workable proposition,
>> all men are good to their word, and terrorists obey the Geneva
>> Convention ;-)
>
>It would be nice if the USA which likes to tout itself as a civilised example to
>the rest of the world could obey the Geneva Convention wouldn't it ?
>
>Graham

I guess the question is whether terrorists are military combatants,
which they need to be in order to be covered by Geneva. There are some
formal definitions, that include rank and uniforms and stuff. Solders
are given protections that, for example, spies and saboteurs and
criminals aren't.

John

From: Eeyore on

John Larkin wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 01:06:46 +0100, Eeyore
> <rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)REMOVETHIS.hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> >Jim Thompson wrote:
> >
> >> Well? We all know that "peace in our time" is a workable proposition,
> >> all men are good to their word, and terrorists obey the Geneva
> >> Convention ;-)
> >
> >It would be nice if the USA which likes to tout itself as a civilised example to
> >the rest of the world could obey the Geneva Convention wouldn't it ?
> >
> >Graham
>
> I guess the question is whether terrorists are military combatants,
> which they need to be in order to be covered by Geneva. There are some
> formal definitions, that include rank and uniforms and stuff. Solders
> are given protections that, for example, spies and saboteurs and
> criminals aren't.

Guantanamo was established for combatants from Afghanistan which the USA had no
jurisdiction to operate in anyway !

Indeed the prisoners might be considered more in the vein of your cherished
'militias' ! Classic case of one rule for the USA another rule for the ROTW.

Hezbollah is a militia too of course too. You Americans should *support* it !

Graham