From: Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie on
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 08:32:56 -0700, John Larkin wrote:
> On 31 Jul 2006 07:42:26 -0700, bill.sloman(a)ieee.org wrote:
>>John Larkin wrote:
>>> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 01:36:44 GMT, Phat Bytestard
>>
>>> Fred and Bill aren't stupid, they're just nasty. And it's a twisted
>>> irony that even nasty people need friends.
>>
>>And precisely who around here is nice?
>>
>>Spehro Pefhany probably qualifies. Win Hill is mostly okay, but has
>>been known to succumb to provocation. Tony Williams does seem to be
>>utterly resistant to provocation, as do most the U.K. contingent, but
>>that may be social conditioning, rather than intrinsic good character.
>
> I practise differential niceness.

In "A Child's Garden of Grass, a Pre-legalization Comedy", one of the
recommended ways of acquiring free marijuana is: "Be very very nice
to everyone you meet." :-)

Cheers!
Rich

From: Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie on
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 08:30:42 -0700, John Larkin wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:31:37 GMT, Phat Bytestard
>
>> Wrong. You're an idiot. I am currently working on the world's next
>>protector, the Joint Strike Fighter Program.
>
> Hey, so am I. They're using my arbs to simulate all sorts of stuff to
> the engine control computers, so they can test the software before
> they actually fly it. The driveshaft to the lift fan is interesting...
> 32,000 hp excites all sorts of twists and vibration modes. We make
> some tach/overspeed modules too, and we're working on a realtime
> torque sensor thing. We're doing thermocouple and RTD simulators too,
> for pretty much the same reasons.
>
> Nowadays planes are just sensors, computers, and actuators, with lots
> of software connecting them. So a major development item is coding and
> testing the software. "A bug every 10 lines" just won't do here.
>
> JSF is cool. Single engine, vertical takeoff and land, supersonic
> without afterburners. Pratt&Whitney engine.

It's just so tragic that all of that knowledge and technology is applied
to killing people. )-;

Thanks,
Rich

From: John Larkin on
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:44:54 GMT, "Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie"
<eatmyshorts(a)doubleclick.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 08:30:42 -0700, John Larkin wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:31:37 GMT, Phat Bytestard
>>
>>> Wrong. You're an idiot. I am currently working on the world's next
>>>protector, the Joint Strike Fighter Program.
>>
>> Hey, so am I. They're using my arbs to simulate all sorts of stuff to
>> the engine control computers, so they can test the software before
>> they actually fly it. The driveshaft to the lift fan is interesting...
>> 32,000 hp excites all sorts of twists and vibration modes. We make
>> some tach/overspeed modules too, and we're working on a realtime
>> torque sensor thing. We're doing thermocouple and RTD simulators too,
>> for pretty much the same reasons.
>>
>> Nowadays planes are just sensors, computers, and actuators, with lots
>> of software connecting them. So a major development item is coding and
>> testing the software. "A bug every 10 lines" just won't do here.
>>
>> JSF is cool. Single engine, vertical takeoff and land, supersonic
>> without afterburners. Pratt&Whitney engine.
>>

>It's just so tragic that all of that knowledge and technology is applied
>to killing people. )-;

Or deterring same.

John

From: John Larkin on
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 14:18:24 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
<speffSNIP(a)interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 08:32:56 -0700, the renowned John Larkin
><jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>>>And precisely who around here is nice?
>>>
>>>Spehro Pefhany probably qualifies. Win Hill is mostly okay, but has
>>>been known to succumb to provocation. Tony Williams does seem to be
>>>utterly resistant to provocation, as do most the U.K. contingent, but
>>>that may be social conditioning, rather than intrinsic good character.
>>
>>I practise differential niceness.
>>
>>John
>
>Me too. I take things out on Wife, Kid, Dog, etc. so as to be able to
>present a more pleasant usenet persona.

Now *that's* funny!

John

From: John Larkin on
On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 14:23:07 -0500, John Fields
<jfields(a)austininstruments.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 08:32:56 -0700, John Larkin
><jjlarkin(a)highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:
>
>>I practise differential niceness.
>
>---
>I practice deferential niceness.
>
>Well, in the beginning, at least... mostly... ;)

No, really. If Bill, or even Fred, were to post something nice, I
would reply in kind. I am, of course, unlikely to be called on that
promise.

tapwater, even, but he'd have to bottom-post.

John