First  |  Prev |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
[OTish] - Content management system for primary schools
This is slightly on-topic as it includes discussion of OSS. I've just come back from our school's parent council meeting (a bit like a school board meeting) and turns out our local council are trying to 'persuade' schools to update their website using their 'preferred option'. The preferred option is Adobe Co... 4 Feb 2010 18:00
mdadm /dev/md0 raid not being created
I have a server box with a raid setup using mdadm. It currently only has one drive (that's another story ...) but was working OK as a degraded array. However since rebooting the system last night it's no longer coming up. On bootup after the PC's normal F1-for-bios message (where I can go into BIOS setup) I get ... 4 Feb 2010 20:16
Dell Inspiron 570 installation woes
Just got my shiny new Dell Inspiron 570, 6Gb RAM, AMD AMD Phenom II X4 820 processor, nVidia GeForce GT220 graphics... Had a mental abberation and installed Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit via CD. Apparently OK, but doesn't detect the network card - though it is listed by "lshw" as: *-network UNCLAIMED ... 4 Feb 2010 11:08
Slightly OT: Silly mistake, HELP..!
As the bottle floated ashore we opened it and found the message that Ivor Jones had written: Hi all, hope someone can offer advice. This *is* Linux related in that I want to install Linux onto the system, but please bear with me. I have a Dell 9400 laptop which currently has Windows XP on a 60GB drive ... 5 Feb 2010 15:06
Emacs, compilation and PATH
Just started using emacs compilation mode for processing some latex documents. Happen to be using a script to wrap up a couple of bits of processing into one command - and the script is in my own bin directory, in this case ~/bin/script/ However, emacs isn't picking up my PATH, which is set in ~/.bashrc, when it... 3 Feb 2010 09:28
Samba 3.4.3 and Mandriva 2010
I started to execute an upgrade plan so that all six of my LAN work-stations and the file server would be running Mandriva 2010. So far two work-stations had been updated. One wouldn't connect to the file-server but one did. On Saturday I replace the old file server wit the new one, having tested it a week earl... 2 Feb 2010 17:10
Dual boot Win 7
On 01/02/2010 14:22, R. Georgeson wrote: Oh, and another thing; are there any problems dual booting Win 7 and Ubuntu or do you just let grub do its stuff (this'll be old grub, I'll be using the LTS Ubuntu). Nope - do it myself quite happily. ... 2 Feb 2010 17:10
Benq Scanner S2W 4300U
Using LinuxMint v8.0 Helena. Some time ago I purchased one of these scanners, after I found through http://www.buzzard.me.uk/jonathan/scanners-usb.html that they work with Linux, and downloaded and installed sane-backends-1.0.19 and sane-frontends-1.0.14 as suggested. Xsane is installed, also. However, when I ... 2 Feb 2010 17:10
Auto shutdown
R. Georgeson <rmg(a)nospam.zen.uk> wrote: Is there a better way of waiting for OOo to close than - The sheet that gets loaded initially has a startup macro to create <runfile> and a close macro to delete it Shell script goes while [ -e runfile ] do sleep 10 which feels horribly clonk... 2 Feb 2010 17:10
And now the Broadcom rant
I have a Dell Mini 9, bought from Dell with Ubuntu 8.04 pre-installed. I've deliberately not messed about with it much, because I wanted it to be reliable. Over Christmas I did a routine 'install updates', and since then both the screen and the wireless networking have been broken. lshw sees the Broadcom wirel... 2 Feb 2010 17:10